Questions To Ask Yourself Before Starting A Blog
The amount of emails, texts, and questions I get about starting a blog lately have been through the roof. It’s been hard to get back to everyone on these messages, but I’m trying my best! Since so many of you have been asking about it, and my blog tips posts I used to write are some of my most viewed posts, I thought I would chat again about the subject today.
Before diving in, I want to clarify something. Blogging is A LOT of work. It’s way more work than any job I’ve ever done; and I’ve been in retail management (anyone who’s worked retail know’s how hard it can be!). Blogging is 24/7 and it’s running your own business. It doesn’t shut off, unless you shut it off. How successful your blog is depends on how much time you are willing to put into it. Although it looks pretty & easy on the outside, the amount of work that goes into it on the inside is pretty crazy.
Questions To Ask Yourself Before Starting A Blog
- Do you know what subject you want to blog about, and do you have actual blog post ideas that you could start writing today on that subject? This will help solidify your content goals, and it will also make sure you start off on the right path. Maybe you love cooking, but you don’t have the time to do highly detailed recipe posts. Make sure you can easily produce lots of content on the subject you want to blog about.
- Can you commit to posting on your blog at least 3 times a week for 6 months straight? I always encourage people to set a consistent goal, and implement it for at least 6 months. Honestly a year would be ideal, but it’s easier to start with a smaller goal of 6 months. Bloggers don’t become successful overnight. It takes time and consistent posting to become successful.
- Are you okay working a ton of hours for no pay? Blogging isn’t a get rich quick job. It takes years to be successful, and it takes a while to book your first sponsored post or to receive your first affiliate income check. Make sure you know this going into it, and that you’re working elsewhere while your blog is your side hustle.
- Are you self-motivated, and do you work well on your own? No one is going to tell you to post to your blog. You are the only one holding yourself accountable, so you really have to be self-motivated. You also have to be okay with working on your own. Somedays I’m alone at a coffee shop for 7 hours straight working on content, but it’s okay because I’m a total introvert, and I love working on my own.
- Are you obsessed with blogging? Do you want to fully immerse yourself in the blogging industry? Do you want to learn everything you can about it? Does it sound exciting to you to go home after a long day of work, open up your computer, and learn about WordPress and social media? Having a hunger to learn more, and educate yourself is huge. Everything I learned in blogging I taught myself, so having this energy is huge not only in the beginning, but even as you become more established.
I hope that this is helpful to any of you who are on the verge of starting a blog. Blogging has been something I’ve been passionate about from the beginning, and I think that’s what helps me keep going everyday. If you have this same kind of passion for it, you should totally dive in and start today! Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below!
SHOP THE POST
Ruffle Off The Shoulder Top (under $50 and so flattering!) // Boater Hat ($26 and my favorite summer accessory) // White Maternity Jeans // Lace Up Sandals // Sunglasses
Thanks so much for stopping by today friends!
These are all great questions, none of which I asked myself when I started my blog last year. I just went for it! Ha! I’m glad I did and after a year of blogging, Ive tweaked and refined some things, but I love it!
Great questions! I just started my blog and these were all things I asked myself before I jumped in. This will definitely be super helpful to people wanting to get into the field. Thanks for putting this together!
Oh my gosh PERFECT timing on this post! I just got a DM this morning from a local gal asking for advice about starting out & I always struggle with what to say. I’m sure you know, bloggers could write a book about what all goes into blogging haha. I may just send her a link to this!
A lot of people seem to think that blogging is a get rich quick scheme! Great post!
Beauty & Colour | Vegan Lifestyle Blog
One thing that I share with friends who are interested in blogging is, do you have the time to commit to the blog? Blogging takes up so much time and energy! Love this post 🙂
You could not have put it better. Blogging is a ton of work! Great tips for girls looking to start one! xo
Thanks girl! Glad you agree 🙂
Love this top it’s so cute and the colour is fab on you!
Thank you for being honest! I feel like so many people write articles about how easy it is to strike it rich with blogging, when it reality it takes so much time and effort.
Yes to all of this! Some people I know really don’t understand how much it takes.
This is so real and truthful! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts because I really admire you!
xo Debbie | http://www.tothineownstylebetrue.com
This is such a great post and such great questions! So true and real and VERY helpful to people wanting to get started for sure. Thank you so much for doing this, so many people don’t understand HOW HARD blogging actually is and can be. Its not just rainbows and free stuff, its really hard work. Perfect post!
This is so real!!!! you look great!
I love your outfit, that top is seriously adorable! This is such a great post, and such important questions to ask yourself before diving into the blogging world!
SO many great tips! Blogging takes so much more time and effort then most people think and you explain the commitment it will take to be successful!
So many great tips, Lee. I don’t think people realize the effort, time, and energy starting and maintaining a blog requires.
Oh man I could not post 3x a week. That’s just too much. I work full time (long hours too) and i would be happy to even have one post a week.
BTW kudos to you for posting so often. I wish I had the time but my blog isn’t quite there yet.
These are GREAT questions to ask yourself! I smiled at all of them. I started blogging almost 4 years ago, and had NO idea how much actual effort it took! I work a full-time job so having my blog is another full-time job. It’s crazy but I love the friends I’ve made!
These are definitely the questions anyone should ponder on before starting a blog! I feel like if your main goal is to get rich and famous and you expect your blog to blow up overnight, then you aren’t doing it for the right reasons and you probably won’t be sustainable. Thanks for sharing!
Thank You for this post, it gives me something to think about. I have a new stage of life right now and I need a outlet for it. Sometimes we all just need a space to feel creative.
This is great post with so much truth to it! Love it!
These are great questions for beginners! A lot of people think we make tons of money fast but it takes awhile!
LOVE THIS!!!! I was at a conference last weekend and this was a topic we literally could not stop talking about! So many people start a blog not knowing what it REALLY DOES take to make it happen or that most of us still work full time jobs and blog a full time schedule. It’s crazy!
These are all amazing questions.. love this!! Also, you look amazing in this color. One of my favorite looks from you!!
“Are you ok with working a ton of hours for no pay?” – THIS. SO TRUE THO. It drives me nuts when people comment if I’m on a press trip or doing something amazing like, “OH, must be nice!” As a full time blogger now, they’ve got NO CLUE how long it took to even GET to that point. It’s real!
Coming Up Roses