I’ll admit it. I was a bit of a crazy person for the first few weeks after Noah was born. In the middle of one of my mombie (mom plus zombie) meltdowns one day I looked at my husband through tears and said ” I didn’t even get to eat my dessert”. Of course he started to chuckle thinking my sleep deprived, desert-craving self was pretty adorable when all I could think about was how badly I wanted to eat that glorious peanut butter/chocolate bar from Whole Foods in peace and then pass out for like 6 days.
I felt like I had no idea what I was doing as a mom and like I was not equipped to take care of a baby. In reality I was just super sleep deprived and needed to stop being so hard on myself.
I also hadn’t reached any of the mommy milestones yet. You know, these ones…
- You start to think 4 hours of sleep a night is a good thing. If those 4 hours were uninterrupted you basically hit the sleeping jackpot
- Going to Target alone feels like a day at the spa
- You find the time to give your baby a bath, but you haven’t showered in at least 2 days
- You consistently think to yourself “Wow, I had so much free time before I had a baby, what did I even do with myself?”
- Your baby spits up or pees on you and you don’t even change your clothes “Relax, it’s just urine” – sorry I just had to quote the movie Orange County 🙂
- You see your husband making a ridiculous face at your baby & you realize you’ve never loved him more.
- Your baby wakes up screaming in the middle of the night while your husband continues to sleep. You realize you’ve never hated him more.
- You let your baby smack you in the face, pull your hair, bite your fingers, etc… because it’s not abuse, it’s cute.
- You turn on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for an hour, set your baby in front of the tv, and don’t feel bad about it.
- Tell me your mommy milestone… have you related to the last 9?